On 12 February 2018, Minister Gibb announced changes to the professional skills tests, following feedback from the teaching profession, to remove financial and administrative barriers to teacher recruitment.
The following changes have been effective from Wednesday 14 February 2018:
- There will be no limit on the number of test attempts
- The lockout period, which previously meant candidates who had failed 3 tests in a subject could not re-take the test for 2 years, has been removed
- All candidates previously locked out will now be able to book tests for both subjects
- The number of free test bookings allowed per subject has increased from 1 to 3, with charges applied from the fourth test attempt
- A refund will be issued to candidates who sat their second or third attempted tests between 24 October 2017 and 14 February 2018
Skills test passes for ITT applicants continue to be valid for 3 years. If an ITT course starts after the 3 years have elapsed, candidates will be required to re-take the test.
For further information, please visit professional skills tests or call the learndirect helpline on 0300 303 9613 which is available Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.